Barleria obtusa

Barleria obtusa
Chilli

Sunday, May 1, 2011

How To Kill A Cat

What do you do when your wildlife friendly garden is attracting the neighbour's cat?


Yes, the neighbour's cat doesn't quite qualify as wildlife especially when I have to deal with cleaning up after it's used a spot in my vegetable patch as a litter box.  This unwanted visitor makes his appearance in the early hours of the morning so I have not been able to catch him in the act.  All I see is the lovely 'package' waiting for me to dispose of every morning.


I've tried sprinkling white pepper over my boundary wall and that didn't work.
I sprinkled Citronella oil on the wall and around the favourite spot of this feline foe and that didn't work either.


Realising my frustration with the situation, my dear husband spent the better part of this afternoon creating a cat scare.  We don't want to make an enemy of the neighbour by maiming her beloved beast, so this has been tested extensively to ensure that no (visible) physical damage occurs.


This is the scene:-




How it works:
We've buried a rat trap on the left - the cat's favourite spot.  (Relax, kitty-lovers - we've modified it so that it will not snap shut and squash the cat's paw or other body part).
Once the trap is set off, the string will pull the balloon toward the acacia thorns, bursting the balloon.  This should scare the living daylights out of the cat, guaranteeing that it never returns to my garden.


Tonight is our first attempt at this so I'll keep you posted on the results.


In the meantime, if there are any other suggestions, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment