Barleria obtusa

Barleria obtusa
Chilli

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Winter's tale


Wondering why I’ve been so quite?  It’s been winter and there was very little that I could do in the garden during the month of July.  This is generally a very quiet month for most South African gardeners where the bulk of the maintenance would be applying mulch and compost.  With my garden being so new, with mulch applied during the planting phase, there were no maintenance jobs required.  My only concerns were whether we would get frost and how my plants would handle the conditions.  So far, all my plants are surviving their first winter.  Only a few Chlorophytum comosum (Hen-and-Chickens) lost some leaves to frost but they have already recovered.  I just have a few more weeks to go through until I can say with certainty that the worst is over.


Felicia amelloides

However, I’m already seeing the first signs of spring:

·       Dimorphotheca jucunda (Trailing mauve daisy) have just begun flowering

·       Arctotis stoechadifolia (Trailing arctotis) has numerous buds
·       Felicia amelloides (Kingfisher Daisy) is flowering continuously.



No comments:

Post a Comment